Blogger Templates by Blogcrowds

Q&A with Brad Miska

Questions by: Rae Volinsky

Recently, Brad Miska was able to answer some questions about his work with the popular website Bloody Disgusting and other horror film promotions he has done. Founded in 2002, Bloody Disgusting is a top horror movie website, getting around 1 million visitors a month. Brad Miska, under the name Mr. Disgusting, is the Editor in Chief and creator of Bloody Disgusting.


Q: How did you come around to starting Bloody Disgusting? Did you ever imagine it being as big as it is today?


A: We started the website out of the love for the genre and for experience. My friend/business partner wanted to learn web design and asked if I wanted run a horror site that he built. I loved the idea and quickly it was off the ground. He continued to make it better while I continued to deliver quality content. I saw potential after a few months and eventually it took off. But it's all for the lover of the genre, not for the mighty dollar like so many sites today.


Q: What would you say is your favorite thing about working at Bloody Disgusting?


A: I get to talk about horror 24/7 (it can get tiring sometimes, LOL). I get to see movies early and meet a lot of cool people. Although, both of these can have their downsides.


Q: So you get to go to a lot of awesome places and meet a lot of people. Do you ever get star-struck?


A: I used to go on a lot of set visits and get off-the-wall excited, but I'm a bit jaded now. I hate traveling because I need to be updating the site constantly; I literally work 24/7. I used to meet random people like Rob Zombie and get incre
dibly excited, but after awhile you realize they're just people like you and me - in fact, some of them just plain disappoint you with their manners and attitude.



Q: I saw that you were the Promotions Manager for the Screamfest Horror Film Festival. What exactly did you get to do for the festival?


A: I helped program horror films and read a bunch of the scripts in competition. It was a lot of fun and a great learning experience. We really delivered some incredible films that year.


Q: How do you feel about social media being a big role in the publicity of movies today?


A: I personally hate it because it means more work for us. I mean, what the heck does a studio need a designated Twitter account for a movie for? So you can learn immediately that a website posted new pictures?


Q: If you had to put your finger on it, what would be your favorite horror film? What about your favorite in any other genre?


A: Aliens, Ghostbusters, Jurassic Park, Terminator, Predator, In the Mouth of Madness, Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, Back to the Future, Jaws, Metropolis, Bloodsport and many, many more.



To read more about Brad Miska, go to his blog or MySpace page.

2 comments:

That picture is crazy!

Good job - I just wish his answers were a little more elaborate.

April 5, 2010 at 10:05 AM  

Your Q & A was well planned and thoughtful. It is unfortunate that the interviewee did not go into more detail. It would have been interesting to get into the mind of Brad Miska. Also there were few links, but the links provided a lot of information
As a small suggestion try to make similar the "Q & A's" titles so that everyone in the group is the same.

By, Joe Cafone

April 5, 2010 at 10:10 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home