Blogger Templates by Blogcrowds

It's definitely wimpy

By: Rae Volinsky

Personally, I have never even heard of Diary of a Wimpy Kid until a friend of mine told me about it. And it is no surprise I have never heard of this film, they barely promoted it. For those of you like me, Diary of a Wimpy Kid is a movie based on the best-selling book of the same name by Jeff Kinney.

This film has the potential of going far, but no one knows about it. The movie has done very few things marketing wise. They have a deal with Cartoon Network for on-line and on-air promotion. This includes behind the scenes exclusive clips. Besides a few TV spots and guest spots by the movie's stars, this was about as much promotion this film has had so far.

Being a film centered around kids and "tweens," this movie could have done a lot to publicize. The Facebook and Twitter page could have been much better and a lot less boring. The stars could have been on many other stations besides Cartoon Network, including all of the Nickelodeon channels. The movie is also based on a recent huge book. The movie could have done so much with this, including a book tour and interviews. There has even been a tie-in book about the film. Who knew?

I'm a sucker for kid movies, so even without all of the promotion I will probably still go see this film. Hopefully others do as well. See the trailer here!


4 comments:

The movie has been released on March 19 and it's number 2 in the box office! (Behind Alice in Wonderland of course) It has had pretty good reviews and maybe if the movie was promoted more it could have been number 1!

March 21, 2010 at 12:46 PM  

Good post using the "I" as the basis - this is why people read blog. They want to know what you think.

March 29, 2010 at 9:31 AM  

I agree, the movie was poorly promoted. I saw a few commercials for it but that's about it. I can't believe it was #2!

March 29, 2010 at 7:01 PM  

I do not understand why movie studios do not promote their films. It makes one wonder why the studio decided to make the film in the first place. Facebook and Twitter are free to use, which makes the fact that the studio did not promote the film enough inexcusable. There have been other movies that have been at theaters in recent years (I cannot think of any at the moment) that I had never seen promoted. Movie tickets are so expensive that I am not going to go see a movie that I have never seen a preview or a review about. I don't take risks when tickets are $10 per film.

Carly Totten

April 5, 2010 at 9:55 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home